CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Cleaning out my Closet

Since I had Zeke back in May, I've been spending a lot of time re-thinking my wardrobe. There's nothing like the drastic changes that a post-baby body endures to spark a desire to reinvent your personal style. With that in mind, I've gone through all of my winter clothing and sorted it into stuff that fits well, accents my best features, and is not outdated, and then everything else. Some things have gone to Repeat Performance to consign, and a few items have gone to the thrift store. I have a whole pile of jeans that I need to cut apart and do something special with - I'm thinking of an outdoor blanket, but we shall see.

Here's one of my new looks, showcasing my new (from consignment store) cashmere sweater, long necklace (doubled, also from consignment store), and Gucci handbag (Ebay, and had it authenticated by my friends at The Purse Forum).

I love watching Tim Gunn's Guide to Style on Bravo. It was my inspiration for reworking my wardrobe. I used Tim's list of 10 Essential Elements to decide what I need to specifically add.
Basic Black Dress - Have
Trench Coat - Need
Dress Pants - Have
Classic Shirt - Need
Jeans - Have
Any Occasion Top/Cashmere sweater - Need
Skirt - Have (in spades)
Day Dress - Have
Jacket - Have
Sweatsuit Alternative - Huh? This one I'm always stumped by, but the idea is something super easy that also looks super sleek.

The only problem with this list is it doesn't include shoes and accessories, so I turned to
The Lucky Shopping Manual: Building and Improving Your Wardrobe Piece by Piece
for inspiration here.
I bought:
Tall boots
Long necklace
Big colorful bangle
Casual purse
Still looking for:
More long necklaces
A nice digital watch
Evening Clutch

Neil and I have always said that if you want something to last, you need to pay for quality. That means keeping quantities low, but in the end I feel like we have really nice things that make us feel good about our purchases. I also like Tim Gunn's rule that most trend items shouldn't cost more than $20.

1 comments:

Maggi

Woohoo, your purse is for real! That's fun!

I seriously need to streamline. I have waaay too many clothes.